The Geneva Motor Show sees Renault celebrate the world premiere of Renault Wind, a two-seater coupé-roadster of 3.83 metres in length which features a highly innovative way of opening. With its novel roof that pivots open extremely quickly, Renault Wind is a powerful call to freedom – bringing a completely fresh take on wind-in-the-hair motoring.
Renault Wind is aimed at drivers who lust after a car that is not only distinctive and compact, but also convertible yet practical enough for everyday use.
Although Wind’s compact dimensions make it a nimble machine in and about town, it is the only car of its class to provide just as much luggage space (270dm3 VDA) roof up or down.
A coupé-roadster for year-round use
- Unique body style: a two-seat roadster cockpit with a low-slung driving position, high waistline and shallow windscreen heighten the fresh-air feeling.
- The sporty and muscular profile provides a distinct identity, highlighted by blue-tinted headlamps and, at the rear, boomerang-shaped tail lights.
- A chassis fine-tuned by Renault Sport Technologies to deliver genuine fun-to-drive sensations.
- A choice of two engines: the fiery and flexible 133 horsepower 16-valve 1.6 from Twingo R.S., or the smooth and responsive TCe 100.
From coupé to roadster in just 12 seconds Twelve seconds: that’s all it takes to open or close Renault Wind – twice as fast as others in its class
Thanks to the innovative roof concept, the generous 270 dm3 VDA of boot space – similar to Clio – is unaffected by the position of the roof. Roof down or roof up, you can holiday two-up in Renault Wind with no restrictions on the luggage you can take.
After making its world debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, Renault Wind will go on sale in Europe this summer.
RENAULT WIND – IT WILL CHANGE YOUR OUTLOOK ON OPEN-TOP CARS
As an innovative, compact (3.83m) and practical coupé-roadster that’s tailor-made for user-friendly service, 365 days a year, Renault Wind brings fresh and original thinking to the convertible landscape.
Its low-set driving position and upright steering wheel positively urge you to fire up the engine and drive. Securely planted on its 17-inch wheels and with its high-waisted flanks, Renault Wind’s muscular and sporty silhouette is a powerful invitation to devour those twisty roads with the wind in your hair.
Distinctive headlights up front and the boomerang shape of the rear lights give it a unique lighting signature.
Inside, everything in the cockpit is focused on the job of driving. The instruments are recessed in metallic tunnels and circled with a touch of chrome, and the driver slips into a bucket seat, complete with built-in head rest and substantial side bolstering.
THE THRILL OF DRIVING A SPORTS ROADSTER
Renault Wind has the advantage of a platform that has been engineered by Renault Sport Technologies to provide outstanding steering precision and thrilling responses for the driver.
Renault Wind is available with a choice of two engines:
- The 1.6 16V, developed by Renault Sport Technologies. This engine produces 133hp (98kW) at 6,750rpm and torque of 160Nm at 4,400rpm. Its telltale, fiery pitch is a result of the special acoustic tuning techniques applied by the engine specialists to the exhaust system. Particular attention was focused on the four-into-one exhaust manifold to achieve the optimum trade-off between acoustic quality, emission control and performance.
- TCe 100: this smooth and responsive 100-horsepower 1.2-litre turbocharged engine is exceptionally economical and flexible (152Nm of torque at 3,500rpm). With this powerplant, Renault Wind is just as much in its element in city traffic as it is on a long motorway haul,
With its integral rollover hoop, rigid roof panel and high waistline, Renault Wind is reassuring and safe, with a level of protection that’s among the very best in the convertible segment.
Renault Wind has generously-sized tyres (195/45 R16 or 205/40 R17) fitted to aluminium alloy wheels which house 280mm-diameter discs at the front and 240mm discs at the rear for powerful, fade-free braking performance.
FROM COUPÉ TO ROADSTER IN 12 SECONDS
Renault Wind needs just 12 seconds to open or close its roof, effortlessly. That’s twice as fast as the norm for its class. Its secret lies in inventive but simple kinematics that use very few moving parts. By cleverly stowing the roof panel below the boot lid, the purity of the exterior design can be maintained and the amount of useful boot space is unchanged, whether the roof is up or down. A boot cover protects the roof from dust and water when in the open position.
Clio-sized boot capacity
With a generous and easily accessible 270 dm3 VDA of boot space that stays the same whether the top is up or down, Renault Wind allows you to set off on holiday with all your luggage, confident that you can open the roof at will.
The boot opens with no more effort than would be needed for a conventional saloon or hatchback, a gas strut providing the necessary assistance.
A RANGE OF PERSONALIZATION OPTIONS TO MAKE YOUR RENAULT WIND TRULY UNIQUE
Customers can enhance the exterior of their Renault Wind with a range of styling options including a rear diffuser with twin tailpipes, front foglamp backing plates, chrome exterior mirror housings and a chrome finish for the bumps at the rear.
Wind’s interior ambience can be personalized, too, thanks to a range of different instrument housing designs and door pulls, plus an alternative gear lever knob or pedal set.
A range of five body colours is available: Majorelle Blue, Pearlescent Black, Glacier White, Altica Grey and Dyna Red.
AN EQUIPMENT LIST TO SATISFY THE MOST DEMANDING CUSTOMER
Renault Wind has a level of standard and optional equipment worthy of a premium-class model.
- Remote central locking
- Cruise control with speed limiter
- Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
- One-touch electric windows
- Climate control
- 2x20W radio-CD with MP3 playback, steering wheel-mounted fingertip remote control and RCA (mini-jack) connectivity
- Front airbags and head/thorax lateral airbags
- Height-adjustable sports seats with integrated head rests
- Height-adjustable leather-trimmed steering wheel
- Trip computer
- 16-inch wheels
A range of personalization options
- Automatic climate control
- Plug&Music connectivity (USB, mini-jack, audio streaming)
- Dark charcoal or Camel leather upholstery with heated seats
- Automatic headlamp and windscreen wiper activation
- 2x35W radio-CD with MP3 playback, incorporating Bluetooth® connectivity (audio and phone)
- ESC (standard with the 1.6 16V engine)
- 17-inch diamond-effect wheels
- High-gloss black roof
- Rear parking proximity sensors