Ανάμεσα στα αυτοκίνητα που έχει αναλάβει ο οίκος RM Sotheby’s να δημοπρατήσει στις 28-29 του μηνός στην Αριζόνα, βρίσκεται και αυτή η υπέροχη Ferrari 212 Inter Coupe By Vignale του 1953. Είναι μια από τις 26 που κατασκευάστηκαν, είναι βαμμένη σε κόκκινο χρώμα, διαθέτει μαύρη οροφή και μπεζ δερμάτινες επενδύσεις.
Ο πρώτος της ιδιοκτήτης ήταν ο Theodore Newell Wood, ένας γερουσιαστής από την Πενσυλβάνια, ο οποίος και την κράτησε στην ιδιοκτησία του έως τις αρχές της δεκαετίας του 1970. Το 1976 το αυτοκίνητο αγοράστηκε από έναν άνδρα στην Τάμπα της Φλόριντα, ενώ το 1981 άλλαξε χέρια για τρίτη φορά. Το διάστημα μέχρι το 1993, το αυτοκίνητο άλλαξε ακόμη δύο ιδιοκτήτες με τον σημερινό κάτοχο να το έχει στο γκαράζ του από το 1995.
Είναι η 23η από τις 26 που κατασκευάστηκαν και φορά τον V12 2,6 SOHC κινητήρα απόδοσης 170 ίππων με τριπλά Weber καρμπιρατέρ και συνδυάζεται με ένα 5-τάχυτο μηχανικό κιβώτιο. Έχει διανύσει 37.095 χλμ και ο οίκος εκτιμά πως θα πιάσει τιμή μεταξύ 1,8 και 2,2 εκατ. δολαρίων.
1953 Ferrari 212 Inter Coupe by Vignale
To be auctioned on Friday, January 29, 2016
$1,800,000 – $2,200,000
170 bhp, 2,563 cc SOHC V-12 engine with three Weber 36 DCF3 carburetors, five-speed manual transmission, front upper and lower wishbone independent suspension with transverse leaf springs and shock absorbers, rear live axle with leaf springs, parallel trailing arms, and Houdaille shock absorbers, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,600 mm
- The 23rd of 26 of the 212 Inters with coachwork by Vignale
- Formerly owned by Pennsylvania State Senator Theodore Newell Wood
- Well preserved in largely original condition
Although Enzo Ferrari built his reputation upon the success of his sports racing cars, it was the financial success of his road cars that his company relied on for continued success in racing. As the company grew, the two sides of Ferrari were inextricably linked; one could not prosper without the other. With the 166 in 1948, one of Ferrari’s most successful early racers, Ferrari introduced an Inter model, which was a more luxurious version intended for road use rather than on the racetrack.
The 212 succeeded the 166 in late 1950 and was produced through 1953. The cars were blessed with a modified Colombo V-12 that was bored out to 2.5 liters to provide high horsepower, as well as a chassis that was largely based on that of the earlier 166 MM but had been adapted by engineers to handle the higher horsepower of its updated engine.
The 212 could be had in two different models: competition-ready Export models, which sported even-numbered chassis, and road-going Inter models, which received odd-numbered chassis. As was the custom with Ferrari at the time, customers had their choice of coachbuilders to clothe the chassis and drivetrain, and a number of companies with differing styles were available. One of the most distinctive and compelling of those was Vignale of Turin.
CHASSIS NUMBER 0285 EU
Completed in early 1953, chassis number 0285 EU, the 212 Inter by Vignale presented here, was finished in Rosso with a Nero roof over a Beige interior, the 23rd of 26 of the 212 Inters built with Vignale coachwork. It was immediately shipped to Luigi Chinetti’s New York distributorship and was sold through Chinetti to Pennsylvania State Senator Theodore Newell Wood.
An avid racer and sports car enthusiast, Senator Wood represented the 20th district of Luzerne, Susquehanna, Pike, Wayne, and Wyoming counties in the Pennsylvania State Senate. Away from politics, he was active in the SCCA, served as president of the Hill Climb Association, and founded the Brynfan Tyddyn Road Races, which were held from 1952 to 1956. Senator Wood owned the car for several years before it was traded into Buz Boback Enterprises in Harvey’s Lake, Pennsylvania, in the late 1960s or early 1970s.
By 1976, chassis number 0285 EU had been purchased by Tiny Gould’s Prova Automotive Enterprises in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The car remained in Gould’s possession until 1977 when it was sold to Joseph J. Pendergast of Tampa, Florida. That same year, Mr. Pendergast took his newly acquired Ferrari to the 15th Ferrari Club of America Annual Meet in Watkins Glen, New York, where it won 1st in class. In 1981, the car returned to Florida where it was owned by Peter Hasterlik of Seminole for three years before moving to the West Coast under the ownership of Craig A. Davis of Atherton, California, who owned the car for another three years. By 1989, the car was owned by collector Hans Thulin of Stockholm, Sweden, and remained with him for four years before returning to Pennsylvania in 1993. The car was then sold to Bill Jacobs of Joliet, Illinois, in 1994 before being subsequently sold to the current owner.
For the last 20 years, the car has remained in the Golden State and presents today in largely original and unmolested condition. The car presents well with lots of character as only a well-preserved example can, with cosmetic and mechanical maintenance having been performed as necessary over the years. Now over 60 years old, it remains highly complete and original, clearly having been maintained but never fully restored.
Ferraris of this age are seldom seen in such a state of preservation, and many of those are quickly whisked away to restoration shops to be prepared for a grand unveiling at one of the world’s major concours events. Chassis number 0285 EU is one of few “survivors” presented in unrestored condition and, as such, would surely be a welcome sight in the preservation class of any concours worldwide. This is an opportunity for its next enthusiast owner to act as a steward of this automobile for future generations.