The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo
Description in brief:
• BMW is once again defining a brand-new segment in the automobile market. The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines elegance, space, comfort and variability in truly unique style. As an attractive, future-oriented extension of the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is quite unparalleled worldwide in the upper middle segment, combining the characteristic features of a prestige saloon, a modern, highly versatile Sports Activity Vehicle, and a classic Gran Turismo in brand-new, unprecedented style.
• Through its body design, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines the proportions so typical of a BMW, an elegantly stretched silhouette and a coupé-like roofline, as well as four doors with frameless windows to create one complete, harmonious unit. The front view of the car animates powerful dynamism through the sheer presence of the upright BMW kidney grille, large air intakes and dual round headlights slanted back at an attractive angle. For the first time the daytime driving light function is provided by corona rings with LED technology. Boasting clear-cut horizontal lines, the rear end comes with that characteristic look of width, power and muscle further enhanced by L-shaped rear light clusters with homogenously illuminated rows of lights in LED technology.
• The luxurious and, for a car with this kind of coupé-like silhouette, surprisingly generous and variable interior gives both the driver and passengers a spontaneous feeling of comfort and well-being. This superior feeling is further enhanced by comfortable entry to the car, the slightly elevated seating position, the large window areas, the optional panorama glass roof, as well as exquisite materials and supreme quality of finish.
• Flexibly adjustable, the interior of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo enables the driver and passengers to vary the generous space inside the car as they wish to their individual, personal requirements. In their standard position, the rear seats offer the passengers the same kind of legroom as in the BMW 7 Series combined with the same headroom as in the BMW X5. In this configuration, luggage capacity is already an ample 440 litres or 15.4 cu ft. Thanks to the partition behind the rear seats, the passenger and luggage compartments are separated acoustically and in terms of climate conditions from one another like in a saloon. When required, the rear seats may be moved individually to the front by up to 100 millimetres or almost 4″, with legroom still remaining the same as in the BMW 5 Series Saloon and an increase in luggage capacity to 590 litres or 20.7 cu ft. And after folding down the rear-seat backrests together with the partition, finally, luggage space increases to its maximum capacity of 1,700 litres or 59.5 cu ft.
• Offering unique functionality, the two-piece tailgate on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo provides exceptional variability and maximum comfort in loading the luggage compartment. Opening the small, sedan-like luggage compartment lid beneath the rear window, with the tailgate as such remaining closed, the driver and passengers are able to conveniently load the rear compartment without causing any unpleasant noise, draughts or changes in temperature within the passenger compartment. To load large and bulky objects, on the other hand, all they have to do is open the large tailgate for maximum convenience.
• The sheer space and the inspiring, modern design of the interior team up to provide a truly luxurious ambience and the supreme long-distance comfort of a modern Gran Turismo. The sleek surfaces on the front and rear door panels merging smoothly into one another as well as the horizontal arrangement of the instrument panel enhance the impression of supreme generosity. Seat comfort, headroom and elbow freedom are all of the highest standard otherwise to be found only in the luxury performance class. The slightly elevated seating position, the clear, structured arrangement of the controls, BMW’s new iDrive with its Control Display up to 10.2 inches in size, and the cockpit in Black Panel technology all help to give the driver maximum supremacy at all times. The rear seats may be adjusted individually fore-and-aft and also come with individual adjustment of the backrest angle. To meet the greatest demands in terms of individual luxury, finally, two individual comfort seats at the rear are available as an option.
• The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is entering the market with a choice of no less than three ultra-modern drive units carrying over BMW -EfficientDynamics into a new segment in the automobile world. The BMW 530d Gran Turismo offers a truly unique, unparalleled balance of driving experience and fuel economy with average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of just 6.5 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 43.5 mpg imp, and a CO2 rating of 173 g/km. The two gasoline models also set new standards for efficiency in their respective engine class.
• As a world-first achievement introducing a new and even more efficient range of engines, the BMW 535i Gran Turismo comes with the first straight-six gasoline engine featuring TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC and developing maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp. The top engine in the range, finally, is the V8 TwinPower Turbo delivering maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo. The BMW 530d Gran Turismo, in turn, comes with a 180 kW/245 hp straight-six diesel of the latest generation with an all-aluminium crankcase and common-rail direct fuel injection. All engines naturally fulfil the EU5 emission standard.
• All model variants come as standard with the eight-speed automatic transmission previously to be admired only in the BMW 760i twelve-cylinder luxury saloon. Featuring an innovative configuration of gearsets, a unique level of internal efficiency, and the same low weight and compact dimensions as a six-speed automatic transmission, this high-tech automatic combines gearshift comfort, dynamic performance, and motoring efficiency of the highest calibre. The most advanced engine technology, the innovative eight-speed automatic transmission, and a wide range of unique technologies in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics allow the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo to set new standards also in terms of economy and emission management.
• The modern, demanding suspension technology of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is designed for both fascinating driving dynamics and supreme grand touring comfort. The double track control arm front axle and the Integral-V rear axle exclusive to BMW are made largely of aluminium. Standard features also include rear axle air suspension as well as hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with a steering servo pump operating on demand. Integral Active Steering is available as an option, combining active steering of the front wheels with rear-wheel steering varying according to driving conditions and current requirements.
• Featured as standard, Dynamic Drive Control influences not only the gearshift dynamics, but also the gas pedal and steering assistance control map. In combination with optional Adaptive Drive, the dampers with infinite variation on both the inbound and rebound stroke contribute to the superior suspension function. In addition to the NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ programs, the driver also has the choice of the COMFORT mode available directly from the Dynamic Drive Control button on the centre console. A further point is that intervention in DSC Dynamic Stability Control is reduced in the SPORT+ setting and in the traction mode.
• The optimised body structure in conjunction with appropriately coordinated and electronically masterminded passive safety systems ensures maximum occupant safety at all times. These systems include three-point inertia-reel seat belts on all seats, frontal and side airbags as well as head airbags at the side, crash-activated headrests at the front, runflat tyres and a tyre defect indicator. The standard features include foglamps and adaptive brake lights, with bi-xenon dual headlights including a daytime driving light function as well as Adaptive Headlights with variable light distribution and Bending Lights all coming as an option.
• The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is also available as an option with the complete range of features from BMW ConnectedDrive, including Cruise Control with Stop & Go, a High-Beam Assistant, Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info, BMW Night Vision with detection of individual persons, Side View, Top View, and a back-up camera. Over and above these outstanding features, BMW ConnectedDrive also offers BMW Online, BMW Assist, BMW TeleServices, as well as an Enhanced Emergency Call function automatically determining and reporting the current location of the car.
• The wide range of standard features offered by the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo includes automatic air conditioning, an audio system, an AUX-In connector bush, and the Integrated Owner’s Manual. Optional features include four-zone automatic air conditioning (standard in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo), telecommunication and navigation systems, a USB port, an 80 GB hard disc for navigation data and the user’s private music collection, a multi-channel audio system, a DAB double tuner, a DVD entertainment system at the rear, a Head-Up Display, a panorama glass roof optimised for noise control and attractive design, as well as an electrically swivelling trailer hook.
• Engine variants:
BMW 535i Gran Turismo:
straight-six gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC,
Capacity: 2,979 cc,
max output: 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm,
max torque: 400 Nm/295 lb-ft from 1,200–5,000 rpm,
Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 6.3 seconds,
Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 8.9 Liter/100 kilometres,
equal to 31.7 mpg imp,
CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 209 g/km,
emission standard: EU5
BMW 550i Gran Turismo:
V8 gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo and High Precision Injection
Capacity: 4, 395 cc,
max output: 300 kW/407 hp from 5, 500–6,400 rpm,
max torque: 600 Nm/442 lb-ft from 1,750–4,500 rpm
Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 5.5 seconds
Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 11.2 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 25.2 mpg imp
CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 263 g/km,
emission standard: EU5
BMW 530d Gran Turismo:
straight-six diesel engine with aluminium crankcase and third-generation common-rail direct fuel injection (piezo-injectors),
max injection pressure: 1,800 bar
Capacity: 2,993 cc,
max output: 180 kW/245 hp at 4,000 rpm,
max torque: 540 Nm/398 lb-ft from 1,750–3,000 rpm
Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 6.9 seconds
Top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph)
Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 6.5 litres/100 kilometres,
equal to 43.5 mpg imp
CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 173 g/km,
emission standard: EU5